General Discussion and Feedback

Coordinator
Dec 29, 2011 at 11:45 PM

Use this Discussion to provide general feedback, or talk about the API with others.

Apr 30, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Looks like a good start - have not really played with it yet, but plan to when I get time...  I'll probably port the copter code to C# or make some other simple shooter.

I hope to use this or something similar for retro like platformer games such as Miner 2049er or the like...  Trying to think of something simple, but fun for my almost 4 year old...  I've created some graphics, and done some GDI based stuff to test the animations and the like, but have been looking for a library  to use.  I'm not a games programmer, but have plenty of other coding experience...

Question - are you using pure GDI?  I want something that is going to work on older systems that I do not mind if my almost 4 year old destroys (the system I plan to use does not have a high performance graphics card - XNA 3.0 will work on it, but not the newer code so for that reason I will not be using XNA and have big hopes for this library).

Thanks,
Lee 

Coordinator
May 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM
Edited May 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Hi Lee,

Yes, this is 100% GDI+ for graphics and Windows Media for sound.  As long as you provide the PC with a decent CPU you should be fine.

I haven't worked on this much lately, but I do have a more complete chopper example that I was going to use to make an extended tutorial (just haven't gotten around to it).  I'll see about uploading the project though so that you have a more complete example to build off of. -EDIT- LOL I guess I already did that - its in the source code as GdiGamingExample1.

Let me know if you run into any difficulties.  Have fun!

-Reed